Monday, October 5, 2009

How to Get Your Toddler to Eat Veggies

Ok, I don't know how to get YOUR toddler or even a toddler to eat veggies. But I finally figured out how to get MY toddler to do it.

Not like I ever dreamed about my little one asking for seconds of steamed spinach... But when his range of culinary interests shifted towards the bread-cookies-pasta-cake spectrum and the only veggie I was able to get him to eat was ketchup, I started getting a bit worried.

Sure, Mr. M would peck at some green peas and corn, but concentrate most of his table-side attention on hot dogs and pancakes. What was I supposed to do?!

Well, today I felt particularly inspired. I made sure that he had some sure-hits on his plate - a hot dog, pasta with cheese and of course, ketchup. But then I added something new - a side of steamed edamame. At first Mr. M wanted nothing to do with it (green = yuk, I suppose).

But then I suggested he'd invite his two pals - scarecrows - to the table for lunch. (Ever since we built our little pre-season scarecrow Mr. M is "into" them). Anyway, he loved the idea and proceeded to share the edamames and the hot dog (hey, great lesson in sharing). And then he pretty much cleaned up his plate.

Tomorrow I'm going to try some mashed potatoes and, if all goes well, we might get as far as steamed spinach by this weekend. I'm sure this fascination with scarecrows won't last, so I'm just trying to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment