Sunday, March 7, 2010

Collection Show-off

I never thought of myself as a collector. Actually, I remember very well a time when all my friends were collecting something or other - stamps, small dolls, pebbles - and I didn't. I felt like I had to start collecting something (all that peer pressure), but could never figure out what. And so I kept growing up collection-less.

Then, as a grown-up, I tried collecting - postcards, fiesta ware (don't ask), Russian laquer boxes - but never got into any of it. Mostly because collections take space and we kept moving way too often. Plus I'm a kind of anti-hoarder and try to get rid of anything that seems remotely like clutter.

But a few years ago, during our trip to New Smyrna Beach, FL (one of my most favorite places), I bought a few very pretty shells that I just couldn't part with ever since. Until very recently they were wrapped in paper and kept in a box along with some other trinkets that I just don't want to get rid of.

Well, if you remember, I bought a very nice printer's drawer (and a huge bargain, at $8) and started cleaning it. It took me a few evenings, but the end result was absolutely beautiful. I didn't even have to paint the drawer or stain it!


So I took out all the shells I had, added a few pebbles and cut outs of the maps from the places in FL we really loved. And hot glued it all to the box. It is now hanging proudly on the wall in our living room.

But it made me realize how few shells I have and that I need more. Hopefully we'll get to go to the beach this year (even if it's just to Wilmington, NC) where I can buy some more of these beauties (and maybe find some driftwood to boot).

No comments:

Post a Comment