Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Something Even a 3-Year Old Can Do

And that is "вареники" or dumplings. Not really Russian, but rather Ukrainian dish and I LOVE them. But not all vareniki are created equal in my eyes. "Вишневые вареники" or cherry-filled dumplings are the best! It's one of my all-time favorite foods every since I can remember myself eating.

Funny thing though - I've never made them before. Sure, I helped mom many times, but mostly by pitting cherries and filling and closing the little dumplings. I didn't make the dough nor did I roll it out. But I figured now that I don't live with Mom, I better learn or I'm in danger of never eating my favs ever again.

Turns out, it's pretty simple. Of course, it works better with tender sour cherries than with robust and even kinda crunchy sweet cherries from Costco. But whatever... Chris made the dough, M rolled it out and sized the portions of filling (2-3 cherries per). You're asking what did I do? Well, I pitted the cherries and pinched the dumplings closed. Oh yeah, I rolled the dough too.

No comments:

Post a Comment